How to make Rotating Pictures for the Site
The front page and header for the site has has rotatings image that are randomly selected from groups of around 30 images. If you would like to submit images for the front page or the header, here is what to do:
To make an image for the front page:
- Open the image with the Gnu Image Manipulation Package (free software available from http://gimp.org/ ).
- Crop the image to make it square. The crop tool has a panel to the right that will show you the size of your selection -- just make the height and width equal.
- Scale the image and set both height and width to 300.
- go to Filter, Light and Shadow, Drop Shadow and add a drop shadow. The defaults are probably the right ones.
- Save as a jpeg with this name: "grupox-s.jpg". It will complain and make you export as a JPEG -- that's OK.
To make an image for the header:
- download the template and open it in GIMP.
- Under the "File Menu" select "Open as Layers..." and chose your image file.
- Make sure the layer is under the "Header thingy" layer. You may need to make other layers invisible for yours to be visible.
- You may want to scale the layer to show more of the image you've added in. I find setting the width to 800 works well.
- You may want to move the layer containing your image around to show the particular features you're interested in.
- Under the file menu, select "Save as Copy" and name the resultant file "header-n.png".
Send the image file to retpagxestroj at esperanto-usa. We'll wave our magic wand and post your image so that it becomes one of the rotating images on the front.